By Sgt. Scott D. Longstreet, 241st Mobile Public Affairs Detachment
NEW ORLEANS – The Louisiana National Guard’s former 20th Special Forces Detachment was honored during a dedication ceremony unveiling the “Cajun Warrior” sculpture at Veterans Park in Breaux Bridge, La., Nov. 16.
More than 200 people attended the ceremony which included the general public, military families, and veterans of the 20th SFD. The ceremony’s military color guard was provided by the Louisiana National Guard’s A Company, 2-156th Infantry Regiment of Breaux Bridge, La.
The life-sized bronze sculpture, created by Bill McGaun, is dedicated to military service members of the Special Forces Operations Command, which had units in Louisiana from 1959 through 1972. The units were reorganized in 1963 as the 20th Special Forces Group, Company D until 1972.
They formed, with the help of former Louisiana Adjutant General Maj. Gen. Raymond Hufft, as three detachments in New Orleans (177th), Breaux Bridge (178th) and Baton Rouge (179th).